Saturday, February 26, 2011

Newborn Nighties

I have decided that I need to do some charity work and so I have picked up five newborn kits from Mennonite Central Committee in Saskatoon. These kits have two nighties and two t-shirts that are cut out but need to be sewn. They come wrapped in a large piece of flannelette which I also need to hem. I will add the other items to the kit so when I take them back they will be complete. Since I will become a grandma this year, I thought this was the right kit for me to work on. May God use to me to make a difference to a new mom and her child. I'll post pictures once I am done the sewing and shopping.

Newborn kits

MCC distributes newborn kits to hospitals, clinics and refugee camps. Newborn kits are sent to assist mothers in giving their children a good start in Bosnia, Haiti, Honduras, Nicaragua, North Korea, Serbia, Russia and Ukraine.


Contents (NEW items only, size 3-9 months)
• 2 gowns/sleepers (flannel or similar warm, soft material)
• 2 undershirts/onesies (short or long sleeves)
• 4 cloth diapers (flat-fold preferred)
• 1 receiving blanket (light weight fleece or flannel; minimum 92cm / 36 in)
• 4 safety pins (5cm / 2in)
• 1 large bar mild soap (leave in wrapper)
• 1 pair of socks
• 1 cap
• Remove packaging material (except soap) and fold into the receiving blanket. Fasten together with the safety pins.
• Contact your local MCC warehouse/activity center for a new design for hand-sewn gowns.
• Note: Items can either be purchased or hand sewn. Packages of precut materials are available from some MCC offices.

Drop off completed newborn kits at one of the drop-off locations in Canada or the U.S.



No comments:

Post a Comment